Friday, April 1, 2011

Always room for one more...

Every time I am ready to congratulate myself for finally reaching a place with Eva where I'm comfortable and not worried, something new comes up.  I think it's half new-mom-syndrome, half bad luck.

So here's the deal: Eva hasn't gained weight in about 3 weeks.  She's not losing weight, but she's not gaining, either.  It's as if she decided that she doubled her birth weight two months early, so she's done.  The thing is, I wouldn't even know the issue exists except we have an AMAZING baby scale that is perfectly accurate to 0.5 ounces, which of course I'm checking every day now.  Sometimes every feed.  Jeeze.

But she doesn't seem malnourished.  She active, playful, funny, sleeps well, and is actually LESS fussy than before.  Does she look anything other than her normal self??  Minus some plumpness...



Anyhow, the doctor thinks my supply is low, which makes sense because Eva has been battling allergies, a cough, fever from shots, etc... for about a month now, so she probably didn't feel great about eating.  Now that her appetite is back, I just don't have enough for her.  Way to make a mommy feel like crud, Eva.

I rented a hospital grade pump for a few weeks, and I'm having to drink like a fish (water, not wine), actually make time to eat, try to get Eva to take a bottle, and pump after every feeding.

That means my day basically looks like this:
  • Wake up
  • Nurse (15 minutes)
  • Pump (20 minutes)
  • Bottle (15 minutes)
  • Wash dishes (5 minutes)
  • Play (30-60 minutes)
  • Nurse (5 minutes)
  • Nap
And that cycle repeats 8 times during the day, 2 times at night.  OMG I need a life.  Hopefully my supply will come back in the next week and I can leave the house without freaking out that I have to be back in 60 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment