Monday, March 28, 2011

First Fever - Check

Eva had her first fever last week.  We took her in for her routine 4 month vaccines, and she seemed to hardly notice them - at first.

Then 3:30am came, and I went in to feed her like I always do.  She was hot.  Crazy hot.  I remember my mom telling me how you know when your baby has a fever just by touching her, and it's so true.  We took her temperature and it was 102.7.  Obviously we doused her up with Tylenol, and called the doctor, and a million other things that woke her-miserable-self up enough that she didn't go back to sleeping until 5:30am.

I was a tired mommy the next day, but we took a couple of cool baths together and cuddled a lot.

She wasn't extra fussy from the fever (it's harder to be fussier than her normal base line), but she was definitly extra sleepy acting.  Fortunately her fever, although happening at the same time as her horrible allergies, was temporary.  The next day we kept up with her Tylenol doses, and by 10pm the fever was gone.

All-in-all, I'm glad her first sickness was something semi-predictable.  We knew it would go down within a day or two, and we knew she wasn't super sick.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have a baby with a real illness, or even a real cold.  Eva was kind and gave me a practice run so that, next time she gets sick, I'll be as prepared as I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment